A Letter From A True Believer!



Father,

When presented and surrounded by people who no longer even believe in the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist how do you stay strong. Lately I have been overwhelmed with people (at church) who no longer want to believe this or that aspect of our Faith. I have even had in church people state oh well they at least believe in Christ. Sometimes I feel like I just want to find a monestary somewhere and hide. Curl up, go inside myself and just be with God myself. I am normally not this type of person as I am outgoing and friendly. But lately over and over I am presented with these people who I continue to pray for but are weighing on my soul.

I am so deeply saddened with people's inability to believe in the Real Presence. I am sure each and everyday you are presented with these challenges, how do you cope?

Blessings in Christ,

Teresa

FrMichael S McCormick January 6 at 9:50pm

Hi Teresa.

This is a very big issue with me!! So first off, I want you to know that it makes my heart glad that you have not lost your belief in this most essential aspect of our Faith. What a profound gift God has given us in the abiding Presence of HIs Son, substantially present in the Blessed Sacrament!

My primary way of coping is to make sure that I always comport myself in such a way to reflect my belief in this truth. I limit unnecessary conversation, though I am sometimes quite chatty with folks as they leave the Church after Mass! I ALWAYS genuflect when I pass in front of the tabernacle. I pray that my example might at least cause doubters to pause and reconsider what they believe.

Of course I also have an outlet you do not have ;-) I get to Offer the Holy Sacrifice and preach. Nearly every Mass I take the opportunity to mention the Real Presence of Jesus in Holy Communion!

When I can I teach, and if I must I use words. (thanks St. Francis!) And of course I pray for conversion of souls. Sometimes people think I am old fashioned. Sometimes even brother priests will ridicule me. That does sadden me. But I just persist and offer it up.

So I guess my advice to you is to persevere in your expressions of love to our Lord of Love always present and waiting for us. Offer up your suffering and sadness in reparation for all the outrages against our Lord and His Real Presence. You will not suffer in vain. You may sow in sadness, but you will reap in profound Joy!!! Pray for conversion of minds as well as souls. And finally, lead by example regardless of the presence, ridicule or exasperation of those around you.

Be strong, my sister. And thank you for sharing your faith. God Bless You!

Comments