Feast of The Most Holy Name of Mary

Memorial
  • 12 September
  • former the Sunday within the octave of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin
Article
Feast of the entire Latin Church. It was first observed at Cuenca, Spain in 1513, then extended to the universal Church and assigned to its present place and rank by Pope Innocent XI in 1683 in thanksgiving to God and the Blessed Virgin for the liberation of Vienna, France and the signal victory over the Turks on 12 September 1683. It is the titular feast of the Society of Mary(Marianists) and of the Congregation of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate.  

+++

Anyone who knows me is aware that I have a deep love for and devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary.  She has sustained me with Her prayers and presence through some of the most difficult periods of my life and especially of my Priesthood.   Sometimes I get all "mushy" when I think about Her or talk of Her to others.  Such is the tenderness Her Son has placed in my heart for His Mother.  She is also a source of great strength for me and for all those who follow Her Son, Christ Jesus.

Last night I had an incredible dream.  I hope it is not prophetic, and you will understand why in a few lines.  Prophetic or not, it meant a great deal to me.  I woke up with the recognition of the power of faith and prayer.  It was a rather quick and simple dream...

I had been captured by terrorists who were trying to force me to renounce my faith.  I refused even under the threat of execution.  One of the leaders gave instructions to his men that instead of cutting off my head they were to cut out my tongue so I could no longer say the Name of the Lord.  They thought this would be a greater punishment to a priest because then he could no longer say Mass.  The entire episode seemed to take only 5 or 10 minutes.

They left me to bleed, tongueless.  I was devastated.  In fact, I was dissapointed that they did not martyr me.  At that moment these words from the 19th chapter of the Gospel of Luke came to me:
"And he answered and said, I tell you that, if these shall hold their peace, the stones will cry out."

I had the sense that it was Mary who whispered these words to me.  It was more than a whisper.  It was Her prayer to Her Son.  I, tongueless, spoke perfectly, "Mary."

+++

That was the end of the dream.  I woke feeling a deep abiding peace.  As I said, I hope it is not a warning that I will be tortured for I am really a coward.  I might not deny our Lord, but I'd probably wimper with fear.

This, however, I do know:  Whenever my tongue has been silenced, whenever I have failed to  speak the Truth due to neglect, fear, weariness, discouragement, despair or even doubt about faith, it has always been the Blessed Mother and Her powerful prayers who picks me up and frees my tongue.  

Immaculate Heart of Mary pray for us now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

+++

Comments